Picky Flamingo – Weekend Reads (09/06/2018)
Welcome to the latest edition of Picky Flamingo – Money Flamingo’s Weekly Roundup.
Picky Flamingo is a collection of the best financial independence and personal finance articles I’ve come across during the past week. Expect most of the articles to be from Australian contributors, but you will also find some great international content. The articles cover the themes we talk about here at Money Flamingo – investing, financial independence, early retirement, personal finance, frugality, lifestyle and happiness. Picky Flamingo is published every Saturday morning. If you would like my weekly picks to be delivered to your inbox, make sure to sign up for the newsletter.
Presenting this week’s edition of Picky Flamingo:
- “Money can buy lots of things, but the best thing that it can buy is freedom.” I think this is a statement that everyone in the FI community can agree with. In The Ultimate Guide to Money and Happiness, Matthew Kent recaps the most important ideas from Your Money or Your Life and explores the relationship between spending, income and happiness. He also discusses the indirect ways money affects our happiness. Not much new info for us FI folks, but a good reminder for why we are all doing this and a nice weekend read!
- In Why Early Retirement Is All It’s Cracked Up To Be, Steve from ThinkSaveRetire looks back at his first year as an early retiree and tells us why you don’t need to save $1 million to retire early. Sounds like Steve lives a Flamingo FI lifestyle without even realising it: “… our lives don’t simply stop once we reach retirement (in many cases, it’s quite the opposite). We don’t sit and stare out the window. Many of us still choose to “work” after we’ve quit our jobs.”
- Speaking of working after you reach FI: If you are on this path, chances are that you currently have a job you don’t really care about. You might as well just keep it until you reach your goal. But then what? If you are not sure what you want to do with your life after you quit the rat race, How to Pick a Career (That Actually Fits You) by Wait But Why is for you. Don’t let the title confuse you – the concepts described in this article are relevant to life planning in general, not just one’s career. It’s a long (!) read, but it’s worth it!
- What is your “why”? In Why Financial Freedom Is The Master Key to Living Your Dreams, Max from The Money Turtle (a new Australian FIRE blog) shares his top ten reasons for pursuing FI.
- Do you invest in LICs or are interested in adding LICs to your portfolio? Check out Strong Money Australia’s review of BKI Investment Company (BKI), one of the largest investment companies in Australia.
There you go – Money Flamingo’s picks for the week. See you back here next Saturday! 😊